Wood and Pickett of London was founded in 1947 by Bill Wood and Less Pickett, two men who had worked for Hooper Coachbuilders in the 1930s and so learned their skills from one of the finest coachbuild-companies in the world. Wood and Pickett became famous in the 60s and 70s for their Margrave Mini conversions, which were bespoke conversions of the Austin Mini. By the mid 1970s the Range Rover was Wood and Pickett's next subject of choice and soon became their most important asset and perticularly popular in the Arab countries. When the Range Rover came out it was only available in a 2-door version and the most luxurious version was still very sober. Wood and Pickett offered it all, body conversions to convertible (both two and four door), stretched with extra rows of seats, six-wheelers, specialized hunting cars and in the years when Land Rover didn't offer the Range Rover as a four door, a four door conversion. The lack of luxury was compensated for by adding sumptuous interiors with Recaro seats, leather upholstery, bars and all kinds of other luxury items. The complete cars made by Wood and Pickett were called "Sheer Rover", which basically was the Range Rover equivalent to the "1000SEL". Wood and Pickett continued to produce Range Rover conversions untill the late 1980s. Wood and Pickett also made a special luxury version of the Rover SD1 and under the name "G-Series International" they offered a special range of custom parts for the Range Rover's biggest competitor, the Mercedes G-Wagon.
A Wood and Pickett Range Rover in front of the premises in the late 1970s.
Inside the Wood and Pickett workshop with many custom Range Rovers under construction.
Text: copyright Bram Corts 2013